With everyday driving, wear and tear, and also because of time, the aluminum wheels on your vehicle can become dull and look nothing like their shiny earlier self. The scratch on the wheels and the dents on them can pull down not only the appearance of the wheels themselves but of the vehicle as a whole affecting its value in the bargain. Getting a new set of wheels can be an expensive proposition and getting a paint job done by a third person, while considerably cheaper, can still be a burden on your wallet. Learning to paint aluminum wheels can make the entire process could become cost-effective. This article will give you the instructions that you need for this do it yourself project.
Painting Aluminum Wheels
In order to paint aluminum wheels, you first need to strip it off any existing coat of paint. Once you have done that you will need to prime it to ready it for the paint job. Painting aluminum wheels does not mean that you simply spray them. If not done properly, the paint could chip off within weeks. Once you have painted the wheels, ensure that you polish the aluminum wheels properly. This is something that needs to be done regularly to protect them from damage.
Things You Need
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Paint Stripper
- Glass Container
- Paint Thinner
- Car Wash Liquid
- Bristled Brush
- Clear Paint
- Safety Glasses
- In order to paint aluminum wheels, the first thing that you need to do is to wash the wheels properly with soap and water. Scrub the wheels to remove any dirt or grime that is stuck on it. Then allow the wheels to dry.
- The next step would be to strip the wheels of any paint. For this you will first need to remove the wheel covers from the tire and then rub it with rubbing alcohol.
- Clean the wheel covers with a newspaper to wipe off any alcohol residue. Now place it on a newspaper so that you can use the paint stripper without spilling it on the ground.
- While using the paint stripper, ensure that you use the gloves and the safety glasses. Always pour the paint stripper in a glass jar and dip the brush in it. Apply this on to the area from which you want the paint removed.
- Once the paint stripper has set, the paint will start flaking and you can remove it using a bristled brush and a cloth rag. If you want to remove any existing paint or remnants of the paint stripper, just use a cloth soaked in thinner on the wheel.
- You now need to sand the wheel to prepare it for the primer coat. Use a sandpaper to do this. This will also help remove any marks from scuffing.
- While applying the primer, whether you are spraying it on or applying it using a brush, ensure that you put on at least three coats. Ensure that before you apply a second coat, you allow the earlier coat to dry.
- Now you can apply the paint to the wheels. Ensure that you wait for twenty four hours after you apply the primer to apply the paint. Like the primer, you will need to apply at least three to four coats of paint. Depending on which color you want, you can select one but it may be a good idea to choose one that is of a metallic silver shade.
- Once the paint is dry, apply two to three coats of clear paint, which will protect the paint on your wheels from chipping.
With these instructions you should have no problem repainting them in order to make them look new and shiny. After all, no one wants to be driving around a car that is not attractive and that does not draw stares from passersby.